Lights, Camera, Action!
Incorporate Role Play for a Winning Training Program
Take one…take two…take three…ready on the set?
Are your teams providing their best performance with every guest that walks through your doors? Incorporating role play into your training programs will help your guests receive an encore performance every time.
Role play is one of the most effective tools in the trainer’s toolbox where participants can experience real life situations and “learn by doing”. Role play can
Blacksburg VA 24060 be used to train any level of company personnel including staff, managers, and even company executives.
Role play allows teams to experience real life situations in a simulated and controlled environment. With participants playing the roles of guests, employees, and managers, they can be better equipped to handle situations.
Because of the controlled environment, role play allows the trainer to assess an individual’s strengths and weaknesses and devise an action plan for growth and development. Blacksburg VA 24060 When used to master a skill, role play builds confidence as the skill is practiced and coaching is administered by a trainer. Since the trainer is side by side with the learner, they can easily determine whether the learner has mastered the newfound technique and is ready to work their position solo. When role play is used to emphasize with another person’s feelings, it allows the teams to recognize those feelings and understand
Blacksburg VA 24060 the effect of their or other’s behaviors. For example, role playing a guest situation will allow teams to better understand how a guest feels. As a result, they will learn the level of service that should be provided to deliver a quality experience. Another benefit from role play is helping team members understand the consequences of breaking policies, such as, arriving late to work and the stressful impact it may have on the Blacksburg VA 24060 entire team. As a result, they will learn the importance of arriving on time.
How to get started
Prior to the scheduled training date, company assessments should be performed to determine the specific areas of performance/improvement to be addressed. Then, the company facilitator should determine the overall results to be accomplished and how the issues will be best addressed. For instance, the trainer should determine if the issues are related more to emphasizing feelings or Blacksburg VA 24060 strengthening a skill.
Next, the company facilitator should determine the specific characters associated with the issue and the particular roles they will play. There are many roles that can be played such as a guest and service representative, a manager and team member, a service representative and kitchen team member or similar combinations.
Finally, the company facilitator, armed with the necessary scripts and scenarios, can then develop training aids and other training tools to address Blacksburg VA 24060 the overall goals of the program.
As a head start, we have listed some suggested scenarios that will help you role play with your teams. Before starting the role play, always ask for volunteers so the shy or less experienced teams can watch others first to help build their confidence.
1. Cashier talking on the phone and not acknowledging a walk-in guest
2. Server being abrupt and rushing a guest while taking an order Blacksburg VA 24060 (asks questions in a curt, quick manner and displays rushed body language)
3. Server being overly friendly and talking too much with a group of business guests having a meeting
4. Server scolding a kitchen worker about an order made incorrectly
5. Host/Hostess being sarcastic and short tempered when a guest is asking for menu information
6. Host/Hostess defensively telling a guest “I told you the wait was 20-25 minutes and you only Blacksburg VA 24060 waited 10 minutes”
7. Bartender being cold and unfriendly while a sole diner is looking for attention and conversation
8. Bartender chatting with some regulars and ignoring a guest who obviously needs something (beverage refill, a napkin, condiments etc.)
9. Two bus persons talking about personal issues while ignoring a guest’s signal for service
10. Kitchen team member loudly demanding a server to pick up an order
11. Dishwasher being disrespected as servers Blacksburg VA 24060 throw dirty dishes without scraping them first
12. A problem team member causing coworkers to do extra work; creating disagreements among the staff; undermining management; constantly being late; and similar situations.
13. Manager telling the guest “no” or “we can’t do that” without apologizing, adding an explanation, and offering options
14. Manager pointing his/her finger and arguing with a guest when handling a complaint
15. Manager threatening a team member’s job
Alkis Crassas, President Blacksburg VA 24060 of EVOS USA, Inc., a healthier fast food chain, headquartered in Tampa, Florida, routinely uses role play and says, “Although role playing pushes the envelope by placing participants in the limelight, after the butterflies disappear, it will smooth out and your team will begin to see the big picture goals of your restaurant”.
If role play is designed properly and effectively executed, it can be very valuable to the success of any company. Most Blacksburg VA 24060 important, when role play is interactive and fun, your training goals will be retained and result in a high return on your investment. Role play adds to the life experience of each participant and when people experience something, they will take that away with them more so than any book, video or lecture could ever replicate.